Sunday, July 12, 2015

Family Time - One Body

Every Sunday we have family night at our house. We started this years ago as our "big" kids were growing up, getting married and moving out. We wanted to still be able to see them and to have our family together as regularly as possible.  Over the years our family has grown - daughter in laws, grandchildren, family friends and other "children". I love Sundays. It is routine for us now. We get our coffee from Sipz, go worship the Lord, I grocery shop from my meal plan, I work in the yard or swim and make dinner. When everyone makes it over they play basketball, football, swim, and water fights. It is a perfect way to start the week. Summer family nights are the best. 

Tonight after dinner Nick, Caleb and Gio continued working on our wall/edging. They worked together to continue to get it done. Over Memorial Day my older boys redid our shed roof. Whenever we need something they are there for us. I love my family. They fill me with such joy. As I listened to the pounding of the tamper this evening it reminded me of Paul's words to the Corinthians about being one body. 

"But our bodies have many parts, and God has put each part just where he wants it. How strange a body would be if it had only one part! Yes, there are many parts, but only one body. The eye can never say to the hand, "I don't need you." The head can never say to the feet, "I don't need you."

If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part us honored, all parts are glad. 

1 Corinthians 12:18-21, 26

This is how God wanted family to be. As one body. Our daughters have been staying with Grandma and Grandpa Ru. Although I know they are having fun and well loved, our family here isn't whole. Our body is missing parts. My family isn't complete without all my children and grandchildren here. 

The same is true for the body of believers. When one person is missing or sick or lost, the whole body suffers. I know when my rheumatoid arthritis flares up, it isn't just my joints that are affected, but my strength, my concentration, my mind even! That is why it is so important we help each other in time of need. That we become the hands and feet for those who are struggling. God gives us gifts and we need to use them! If you have the gift of serving make some meals for new moms or families enduring loss or sickness. If you are a giver give to the community your time through crafts, reading to the elderly, or walking dogs at scraps. If you have a gift of prayer pray for your friends and tell them you did! If you have a gift of teaching volunteer at your church or a school. It took me a long time to realize my gifts. Sometimes we just need to ask those who are closest to us what they think our gifts are. Trust in God to show you your path. Know that He created the body we are part of. Trust that you are part of the body of Christ. That you are wanted, loved and needed! If you don't feel that you belong to the body of Christ reach out to me or any othe believe. We are all learning what it means to be followers of Him. 

Always remember you will always be Held by His Boundless Grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment